Founded in 1956, the college exists to educate young women in the Franciscan tradition, through the spirit of St Francis and St Clare of Assisi and, the founder of the Missionary Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception, Elizabeth Hayes.
On 1 February 1956, the Kedron Missionary Franciscan Sisters opened the Mount Alvernia College doors for the very first time. With an enrolment of ten students and three teaching Sisters, twelve months later, the first brick building welcomed 29 students. From those humble beginnings, the college has grown to welcome over 930 students with 75 teachers and 35 support staff.
With the Franciscan narrative driving Mount Alvernia College, the community is visionary in aspirations, ethical in relationships and agile in solutions. The learning programs are innovative, exciting, and tailored to individual student needs, with a strong focus on critical thinking, creativity and ethical leadership. Every student is known by name, valued and respected. With spirit-filled students, capable and agile staff and empowering partnerships Mount Alvernia College looks confidently to the future ahead.
Mount Alvernia College was entrusted to the care of Mercy Partners by the Missionary Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception on 12 July 2017.